Proper exercise is important at every age, but we seem to fall short on the significance of this as we get older. The importance of maintaining your health should always be a primary concern in your life; however, once you hit 40, a good exercise regimen should become your number one priority. Adopting a daily exercise regime is even more important from 40 onwards, than say, between the ages of 15–40 years. If you’re experiencing the pains of aging, particularly in your back, it might be time to see your Oakville and Mississauga-area chiropractor.
Why is it important to change my health routine after 40?
Whether you’re a man or a woman, your fitness routine will change once you hit 40. As we age, we naturally lose the nerve that tells our muscles to fire. With each decade, we lose approximately 10% of muscle fibre. That is compound interest you don’t want! 40 is an age of change for most people. Typically, many people are finished with raising very young children, and will often take on jobs that tend to be less strenuous. As people age into their 40s, they often become more sedentary than before. However, one of the main goals at this stage in life is to preserve your strength and fight off excessive weight. For men, testosterone will begin dropping which will result in the loss of five to eight percent muscle mass every decade. Muscle loss occurs in women around this age as well, so women need to work hard in order to maintain their preferred body shape. As muscle strength begins to decay, it becomes difficult to complete certain tasks quite as easily as before. Therefore, it’s essential to adapt to an active lifestyle and help maintain your body’s functional strength.
What are some health benefits?
Here is a list of some of the health benefits you’ll notice when exercising after 40:
- Increased muscle mass: you’ll maintain more of your muscle mass the more you exercise
- Increased muscle mass or lean tissue: Since we naturally lose muscle mass as we age, we need to work in order to rebuild muscle. Regular exercise will create the potential to build new muscle and lean tissue
- Higher metabolism: proper exercise can reverse the effects of a decreased metabolism, as you get older
- Higher metabolic rate: we always blame age for the change in our metabolism. But it’s better to understand that changes in metabolism are caused more by the loss of lean tissue. Simply put, the leaner you are the better your metabolic rate
- You’ll sleep better, look better and feel better: any increased amount of exercise will enable you to fall asleep faster and feel more rested when you wake up in the morning
As you get older, it’s easier to get injured, and extremely important that you get checked immediately. City View Chiropractic is your injury rehabilitation centre in Mississauga and Oakville Ontario; our team provides the highest-quality care and services for our clients in a modern, state-of-the-art chiropractic facility. Call our office today to make an appointment.